TapStar Interactive, a boutique developer and publisher has recently announced a 30th Anniversary edition of the wildly popular video game, Boulder Dash, currently in development.
The game reunites the two original creators of the classic hit, TapStar co-founder Chris Gray and programmer Peter Liepa, for the first time since 1984. TapStar is co-developing this sequel with the owner of the Boulder Dash brand. Due to launch early in 2014 first as a freemium game for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, followed by PC, Mac and select gaming consoles and handhelds.
While remaining true to the classic gameplay, new elements have been added such as diagonal movement, which opens up new and intriguing puzzles while creating a very different look for the caves. The 30th Anniversary sequel will be the first ever freemium game in the Boulder Dash series.
Additional features include:
- 50+ all-new levels (many designed by Liepa and Gray) and more advanced physics
- Never-before-seen worlds and new creatures with 3D elements and animations
- New multicolored gem combos, powerups, collectibles and Dash Mode
- Cave packs featuring new worlds, additional creatures and features available as In-App-Purchases
- Cave editor included for the first time since 1986
- Both male and female characters: Rockford™ and Crystal™
- First Boulder Dash game ever to include diagonal walls and movement
- Developed in Unity